Continuing our lives of chaos, yesterday we rounded up The Littles and headed to the vet for their weekly weight check, Midna's last round of shots, and a possible UTI on Zelda. Upon arriving and doing an exam of Zelda's UTI, the vet became concerned about pyometra - a uterine infection that happens in female dogs and is usually fatal if left untreated.
We had her taken back for x-rays to look for any signs of pyometra, while my best friend Cait and I chewed our nails and Midna flopped on the ground without a care in the world.
|I tried doing this one in B&W and it looks really grim. We're going to break the rules a bit and leave it in color.|
Luckily, Zelda showed no signs of pyometra, and we scampered home with another dose of Clavamox for a simple UTI.
The vet wants to have them spayed in about a month - something I don't feel entirely comfortable doing. The girls would be around 8 months by then, but with all of the other things going on with their health - the lack of nutrition, the delayed growth, the bizarre bone formation in their feet - I really don't want to spay them so soon. I'd prefer to wait a while and get closer to their first heat, but at the same time, I don't want them to go into heat and possibly have issues with hormonal aggression towards one another because of the presence of Bast.
I'd love to hear other peoples' thoughts on this, if you have an opinion on spaying. In general, spaying or neutering wolfdogs early is frowned upon because they do not reach maturity until around 2 years of age. I don't want to wait that long for the girls, but I'm not comfortable with 8 months. Any thoughts on this?